Chris Buchan's Blog; Reaching for a freedom in Life that will allow me to be more like my Lord Jesus

Monday, July 16, 2012

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer





Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer

I just came back from an amazing weekend at the beach, where my love tank was well and truly filled. It began with rain but later the sun broke through and the clouds rolled off and my mind and body began to relax. I love, love, love, the beach, for so many reasons, I don't feel guilty that I have something more important to do, I get a pedicure for free, I have water all around me which is my favorite thing and I get to think, play, and be...

I was brought up in a town on the beach in Scotland. It may not have had the best of weather but to me it was where I could be me, I could rant and rave to the crashing waves and no one could hear me when I was upset, I could sit and spend time with the Lord all cuddled up in a sand dune, I could swim and body surf my energy away, I could just lay and breath, no matter the weather I would just dress appropriately. I love the smell, the noise and the feel of the beach. I love being covered in sand and not caring, my hair all tousled and salty, my body refreshed with whatever type of beach day it was. I can, dream, plan, contemplate or just enjoy being me... I want to stay the longest, and swim the hardest, and stretch ever ounce of time out of my time there, it's me, and it wraps all my senses up in memories, hope, love and just what can I call it… God’s beauty.

I remember long times past. When I was a wee toot and my dad would give us a blow up bed and we would float lazily down the river towards the beach, or when I would awake early, run round to the small corner shop, buy some chips and a bottle of soda and grab a towel and no shoes and my friends and spend the day and well into the night just having fun. As well as my own kids first time to the beach, when they were scared to put their feet down on this wet cold powdery stuff, or them building castles and jumping the waves, we would sometimes stay while the mist rolled in and later rolled back out and cuddle under blankets with a mug of coffee to keep us warm, hoping the sun would peak through just one more time. I went searching for all different beaches around my home, and I loved them all.

Upon moving to America I loved how my body was toasty warm and how so much more relaxed I could get. I would swim past the waves and barely make it back collapsing on my rubbery legs from all the effort trying to make it back to shore. Now we have, umbrella and shade awnings, deck chairs, BBQ’s, sandwiches, hamburgers and what ever else we can carry to make the comforts of home appear at the beach.

It’s probably not just the beach I love but water in general. I am  like a water baby, I have always loved it. Rivers, swimming pools, puddles, rain, snow, in whatever form it takes I love it.

This weekend started out rainy, I must admit I began feeling a wee bit forgetful of good times on the beach in the rain and really wanted sun, sun sun. However I took a wee bit of time to remember why I love the beach and I just knew I would have a good time, building relationships and memories, as this was the first time going with my new family. We were driving to Biloxi Mississippi and taking a boat ride out to Ship Island. Another favorite of mine is boat rides any size, shape, or power it doesn’t matter I just love them. So we reached the island and there was rain and dark clouds as far as the eye could see. It was warmer in the water than out so I stayed out.


It’s such a wonderful feeling being in love on the beach and being with that love. I felt like a teenager again as I frolicked and played with Cliff. We probably looked like basket cases but I really didn’t care … I’m in LOVE, I’m getting married in about 20 days, it’s our time. Then the clouds opened up to a wee bit of blue, we grabbed lunch and the rain stopped and the sun broke through and it was time to sleep. Cliff would call my name as I was snoring and fall back to sleep and continue his snoring and again we probably looked a sight but oh how perfect it was.

Then it was time to go, I would have sold all I had to stay longer but we had to catch the boat so off we set on our travels home and to me the ending to a perfect day.

We dined on shrimp and biscuits with the most delicious coleslaw and finished the evening with a stroll along the pier watching the fishermen bate their hooks and cast their lines with the most perfect breeze blowing to keep us cool.



I awoke early next morning and grabbed breakfast and headed for a wee bit to the pool. Then a leisurely bubble bath followed with a photo shoot on the sand, lunch, a wee bit of shopping and a cuddle in the car. Where we were promptly scolded and told there was a hotel across the road and we were behaving inappropriately as families were close by. Boy I was so angry and ranted to Cliff about how dare the jumped up little security guard with no love left in his life could talk to me like that and wasn’t this the land of the free where you could do anything but smooch with my love. It took a wee while and a few texts to Shelley to make me laugh but I finally calmed down and asked Cliff for one last walk on the beach as he snored in the car.



Yes it did its miracle and the small-minded man who took his job far too seriously was dumped in the dust and the winds blew him from my mind. The sun was shinning, the wind was blowing, the water had it’s sparkle of jewels covering it, the birds were flying, and my feet were digging in the sand and splashing in the waves and I breathed in the salty air and filled my lungs with perfect goodness.



Alas it was time to dust off my tootsies and take a last look at perfection and head home. On our ride home we spotted this small German Italian restaurant at the edge of the road and ate the most delicious Cannelloni and
Jägerchnotzel followed by the best cannoli I have ever tasted along with the best espresso 
coffee and the most impeccable ending was had to the most wonderful weekend. Yes my love tank was well and truly over flowing as we drove and talked and shared memories of times long gone and times not yet shared. Thank you Lord for these wholesome times of blessings and memories made and shared…


1 comment:

Nelly@DGInnovations said...

Awe Chris! Such a beautiful description of what seemed to be an amazing time of memories made! I am SO happy for you!!
I also love the beach sooooo much...I would live there if I could...Love you lots!!